Chandigarh: What to Explore in This Amazing City?
By TOI Staff February 14, 2023 Update on : March 4, 2023
Chandigarh, the city beautiful, is the capital of the Indian states of Haryana and Punjab. It is known for its stunning architecture, green spaces, and cultural landmarks. Chandigarh is a must-visit destination for anyone interested in modern architecture, rich cultural history, and natural beauty. The city was designed by famous French architect Le Corbusier and is known for its innovative and unique architecture, including buildings like the Capitol Complex, the High Court, and the Secretariat. In addition to its impressive architecture, Chandigarh is also home to a number of cultural and historical attractions, such as the Rock Garden, the Museum of Evolution of Life, and the Punjab State War Heroes Memorial and Museum.
JW Marriott Chandigarh is the best hotel located in the heart of the city. This 5-star hotel offers guests a memorable and stylish stay, with its elegant interiors, top-notch facilities, and exceptional service. The hotel features spacious guest rooms and suites, each equipped with modern amenities such as high-speed Wi-Fi, large flat-screen TVs, and comfortable bedding. The hotel also has an on-site restaurant serving a variety of international and local cuisines, a fitness center, a swimming pool, and a spa. JW Marriott Chandigarh is the perfect choice for business travelers and leisure travelers alike, offering a tranquil retreat in the bustling city.
Here are some of the top places to visit in Chandigarh:
- Rock Garden: This unique attraction is a sculpture garden made entirely from industrial and urban waste materials. The garden was created by Nek Chand, an artist who worked as a road inspector in the city. He started collecting waste materials such as broken pipes, ceramics, and other discarded items and used them to create sculptures of animals, human figures, and abstract structures. Today, the Rock Garden covers an area of 40 acres and contains over 5,000 sculptures. Visitors can explore various sections of the garden, including the Amphitheater, the Waterfall, and the Broken Chandelier. The Rock Garden is a must-visit for its unique and imaginative creations that are a testament to the artist’s vision and creativity.
- Sukhna Lake: This tranquil lake is a man-made reservoir that provides a peaceful escape from the bustling city. It covers an area of 3 square kilometers and is surrounded by lush green trees and beautiful gardens. Visitors can take a stroll along the lake’s promenade, enjoy a picnic with friends and family, or participate in water sports such as boating and fishing. The lake is also a popular spot for birdwatching, with over 150 species of birds that call it home.
- Rose Garden: Also known as the Zakir Hussain Rose Garden, this beautiful park is the largest of its kind in Asia. Spread over 30 acres, the garden is home to over 50,000 varieties of roses and other flowers, making it a treat for the senses. Visitors can explore the various sections of the garden, including the Medicinal Plants Section, the Bonsai Garden, and the Fragrant Rose Garden. The park is also a popular spot for outdoor events and concerts. The Rose Garden is a must-visit for nature lovers, photographers, and anyone looking for a peaceful escape from the city.
- Government Museum and Art Gallery: This museum is housed in a beautiful building and is a treasure trove of art and history. The museum houses over 10,000 paintings, sculptures, manuscripts, and coins from various periods and regions. Visitors can explore the various galleries, which include the Indian Art Gallery, the Decorative Art Gallery, and the Coins Gallery. The museum is a must-visit for art lovers, history buffs, and anyone interested in the cultural heritage of India.
- Leisure Valley: This park is spread over 8 kilometers and is a great place to relax and rejuvenate. It is surrounded by lush green trees and has various recreational facilities, including playgrounds, fountains, and picnic spots. Visitors can take a stroll along the park’s pathways, participate in outdoor sports, or simply relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery. The Leisure Valley is a great place to escape the hustle and bustle of the city and enjoy the peace and tranquility of nature.
- Capital Complex: This group of buildings includes the Secretariat, High Court, and Legislative Assembly, and is a prime example of the city’s stunning architecture. Designed by French architect Le Corbusier, the buildings are known for their clean lines, functional design, and use of concrete, glass, and steel. Visitors can admire the buildings’ exteriors and well-manicured lawns, or take a guided tour to learn more about their history and significance.
- Cactus Garden: This unique garden is dedicated to cactus plants and is home to over 2,000 species of cacti and succulents. Visitors can explore the various sections of the garden, including the Cactus House, the Cactus Garden, and the Succulent Garden. The garden also features various rock formations and sculptures, making it a visually stunning attraction. The Cactus Garden is a must-visit for botanists, garden enthusiasts, and anyone interested in the unique and fascinating world of cacti and succulents.
- Pinjore Gardens: These beautiful gardens are located in the town of Pinjore, just outside Chandigarh. The gardens are spread over 100 acres and feature a variety of landscapes, including formal gardens, lawns, fountains, and a man-made lake. Visitors can explore the various sections of the garden, including the Rang Mahal, the Sheesh Mahal, and the Jali Courtyard. The Pinjore Gardens are also a popular spot for picnics, outdoor events, and cultural performances.
- Punjab State War Heroes Memorial and Museum: This memorial is dedicated to the brave soldiers from the state of Punjab who lost their lives in various wars and conflicts. The memorial features a large statue of a soldier and is surrounded by beautiful gardens and lawns. Visitors can also explore the museum, which contains exhibits and displays about the lives and sacrifices of the soldiers.
These are some of the top places to visit in Chandigarh. Each attraction offers something unique and special, and together they paint a picture of the city as a hub of culture, history, art, and nature. Whether you’re a tourist, a local, or just passing through, these places are a must-visit for anyone looking to experience the best that Chandigarh has to offer.