According to authorities, a shooter opened fire inside a busy shopping mall in Denmark’s capital on Sunday, killing three people and badly injuring four more.
The mall is close to the Royal Arena, where Harry Styles was set to play on Sunday night. The performance was later canceled at the request of Danish authorities, according to the entertainment organization Live Nation.
A shooting at a mall in Copenhagen, where guns are practically impossible to own for the general public, disproves every single Leftist talking point on guns.
— Irene Armendariz-Jackson For Congress (@ArmendarizDis16) July 3, 2022
At 5.37 p.m., police got the initial reports of a gunshot and captured the perpetrator 11 minutes later. Thomassen identified the suspect as an ethnic Dane, a term used to describe someone who is white.
According to authorities, the accused will show up in court later Monday and be charged with manslaughter, a felony punishable by life in jail.
After the shooting, a 22-year-old Danish male was detained, according to Copenhagen police inspector Sren Thomassen, who added that there was no evidence that anybody else was involved in the incident, but police were still investigating. Gun violence is uncommon in Denmark.
Thomassen said it was too early to guess on the purpose for the shooting, which occurred in the late afternoon at Field’s, one of Scandinavia’s largest shopping malls on the outskirts of Copenhagen. According to witnesses, as the guns sounded out, some people sheltered in businesses while others fled in a terrified rush.
The identification of those deceased have not been disclosed, but officials have stated that they are two 17-year-old Danes, a 47-year-old Russian man residing in Denmark, and one male and one female, according to police inspector Sren Thomassen, who spoke at a press conference Monday.
According to officials, the four seriously injured include two Danes, and two Swedes, a 50-year-old man, a 16-year-old child, a 40-year-old lady and a 19-year-old woman.
Officers raided various residences overnight to gather evidence on the incident and determine if the suspect was acting alone, Thomassen said, adding that nothing so far indicates he was cooperating with others.
Nothing thus far indicates that this was a terrorist act, according to Thomassen. According to the suspect, he had no tie or connection to any of the victims. The suspect has a recognized mental health issue, according to the police chief.
Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen issued a statement in which she expressed her condolences to those impacted by the attack and urged Danes to unite.