Pacman 30th Anniversary Full Screen: How to Play?
By TOI Staff October 25, 2022 Update on : October 25, 2022
Pacman is undoubtedly one of the best video games released in the 1980s. Before its inception, the video game industry had just started gaining popularity. Many video game companies made new and innovative games to get ahead in this budding industry.
It was an era of arcade games because there were no personal computers or even personal gaming terminals at that time. Everyone went to arcade houses to play video games. Most of the games were all about shooting and fighting. Arcades were like a male-only zone where only boys and men went to play games. Few women played video games because most of the games were about violence which was unpopular with females. At that time, Pacman made its entry into the video game world. It was the first non-violent video game. Pacman was revolutionary, and it quickly became popular with both men and women.
How did the Pacman game come to be?
Pac-man was invented by a young Japanese game designer name Toru Iwatani. Toru Iwatani was already in the video game industry, working for Namco Company since the late 70s. His reason for designing Pac-man is to introduce a game loved by women.
According to Toru Iwatani, when he had the idea of Pac-man, “arcades were overflowing with violent shooting games where you killed aliens for fun”. He felt that arcades were gloomy places only boys wanted to go. He wanted to change this and design a game that was acceptable to everyone regardless of gender.
Birth of Pac-man
Where did Pac-man’s iconic shape come from? According to the story, Toru Iwatani and his team of game designers ordered a pizza at a pizza restaurant. Then suddenly, someone takes a slice off of it, and there you got it, the Pac-man.
It is said that Pac-man’s creator claimed it to be the case. He said that a pizza with a single slice missing was like a mouth to him, so he created a character and named it “pakkuman”. And this character doesn’t win by shooting bullets but by eating pellets. It was a brilliant idea that made the game last longer than any other video game. Pacman still has a large fan base, as demonstrated by Pac-man’s 30th anniversary. It made many people remember the hours they put in during their youth.
What is Pacman 30th anniversary?
Pac-man is very different from most other video games. Rather than killing enemies to win the game, our little pizza boy escapes the enemy and wins the game by eating everything edible. Nothing much has changed in Pac-man’s 30th anniversary; here’s how the game works.
- The Pacman has to eat all the pellets in a maze to win the game.
- You have to avoid four ghosts during your eating-to-win process. You lose a life if you touch a ghost.
- Four ghosts in total have different habits: Blinky, Pinky, Inky, and Clyde.
- Blinky: He is red and also the angriest one among its siblings. This ghost is always chasing behind the Pac-man. It increases its speed to match Pac-man’s speed when you eat a certain number of pallets.
- Pinky: She is pink in colour, and she also chases behind Pac-man. She doesn’t directly chase behind you mindlessly like Blinky; instead, she uses strategy. She loves going behind the closest wall and trapping you with the help of other ghosts.
- Inky: This is a blue ghost, and he has a reputation for being the most dangerous of its siblings. It has no fixed strategy; it can do anything at any time. It can catch you off-guard if you are not careful.
- Clyde: It is orange in colour and has a habit of being a dunce. It leaves its box at the centre of the maze to chase Pac-man, but it usually forgets its mission halfway and wanders around. Be careful of this ghost and take note of its position, especially in the lower left part of the maze.
- Eating oversized pallets, also called power pallets, will make ghosts edible for a period of time. During that period, all ghosts turn dark blue and become slow; you can eat them just like other pallets in the maze. But eating a ghost doesn’t make them die permanently; they respawn instantly at the labyrinth’s centre.
What is the impact of Pacman 30th anniversary on our lives?
You can almost guess the popularity of Pac-man in its heyday by looking at the amazing response of the audience to Pac-man’s 30th anniversary. But this is not the whole story. When Pac-man was first released, no one was optimistic about it.
Even the Namco company thought so because the game seemed lacklustre. But they still chose to release it on May 22, 1980. At that time, there was no affordable way to provide a personal game console. So, Pac-man, like all other video games at that time, was released as an arcade game. It was at that time that this game became hot. It also promoted the video game and arcade industry. Because of this game, Japan government had to make more than 100-yen coins.
Many 100-yen coins were sitting in the bellies of Pacman machines, which led to a shortage of those coins. Because of this overwhelmingly positive response, Namco decided to release the game in the vast market of America. At that time, Namco changed Pakkuman to Pac-man because the previous name was slightly offensive in English. It was well-received in the American video game market; it almost became a culture.
You could see Pac-man machines not just in arcades but everywhere. This game even made a lot of people change their profession. Many supermarkets and grocery stores stopped their original work, bought a few Pacman machines, and got rich. You could see Pacman machines everywhere, not just in arcades. They were all over the place, almost like ATMs nowadays. According to a study, in 1981 Americans spent more than 20 billion quarters and 52,000 years on Pac-man machines.
Why were people angry with Pac-man?
You can see how popular the Pac-man is; it can be seen clearly from Pac-man’s 30th anniversary Google doodle. This game was always popular, but popularity can sometimes backfire. Pac-man has had some rough situations during its decades of existence.
Children spent so much time and money on this game that many people became angry. Parents were angry became time spent playing games could be used to write homework. Money spent on games was lunch money given by parents.
Movie companies were jealous because the games consumed so much free time and gained the attention of many people. According to their philosophy, people should use that free time to watch movies. Records companies wanted people to listen to music in their free time.
Many other industries were dissatisfied with the video game industry, so they sued Pac man because it was the top video game. Pacman lost the lawsuit, and the court imposed some restrictions on it. The most important of them: arcades are only allowed for a limited no of hours. And they could only open up their shop at specific places. Although this was a huge blow to the game, it didn’t lower its popularity. It held its throne as one of the most popular video games until now.
How to play Pacman 30th anniversary?
You can play Pacman 30th anniversary by following the following steps:
- Open Google chrome.
- Write Pacman 30th anniversary in your search bar and click the “Enter” button.
It will take you to Pac-man’s 30th anniversary Google doodle. There you can play the game as much as you like for free.