BCPS Schoology: A Revolutionary Tool for Education
By TOI Team September 16, 2023 Update on : September 16, 2023
Have you ever heard of BCPS Schoology and wondered what it meant? Are you interested in learning about it? Then, you’ve come to the right place.
In the digital age, education has gone beyond the four corners of the traditional classroom. Baltimore County Public Schools (BCPS) is at the forefront of this educational evolution. BCPS Schoology is the learning management system adopted by Baltimore County Public Schools. They adopted this system to enable digital learning.
This article overviews BCPS Schoology, how to register and log in, key features, and tips to use it effectively. Whether you are a student, parent, or teacher, this guide will teach you how to get the most out of BCPS Schoology.
Baltimore County Public Schools has a long history. The first school opened in 1807 in Reisterstown. In 1825, the state passed a law to create a county-wide school system. However, progress was slow at first due to little funding and oversight. By 1850, there were around 50 public schools serving about 2,000 students.
In 1868, they created the County Superintendent’s office to manage the schools better. Over the next decades, they built more schools as the population grew. In 1908, voters approved a tax to fund new school construction, allowing more high schools.
BCPS grew fast after World War II, so schools had to unite. They added vocational, special education, and alternative programs to serve all students better. Desegregation started in 1956 and increased in the 1960s-1970s. Enrollment peaked at 126,000 students in the 1970s before dropping.
In the late 1900s, BCPS focused on improving academics with magnet programs, smaller schools, and more technology. Recent efforts target racism, achievement gaps, and 21st-century skills.
BCPS has over 110,000 students in nearly 180 schools today, making it one of the 25 largest U.S. school districts. From simple beginnings 200 years ago, BCPS has become a large, diverse system. The organization is still dedicated to serving and preparing all students for the future.
BCPS is one of the top-performing large school districts in Maryland and the United States. Over 80% of BCPS schools are rated high quality under Maryland’s accountability standards. BCPS’s 4-year cohort graduation rate of 90% exceeds the state average.
BCPS students score above state and national averages on standardized assessments like PARCC, SAT, and AP. The district offers extensive STEM, arts, and career/technology coursework. In addition, over 60% of students participate in athletics or extracurricular activities. BCPS graduates are well-prepared for college and career success. Overall, we rate BCPS schools a solid 9 out of 10.
Schoology is an online learning management system that Baltimore County Public Schools (BCPS) uses. Teachers use Schoology to post class assignments, materials, and grades. Students use it to access class information, submit work, take tests, and communicate with teachers.
The platform allows teachers to share documents, links, videos, and other resources with students. Teachers can create assignments, quizzes, and discussion boards for students to complete. Graded work is returned to students through the platform so they can see feedback and scores. Teachers can also message individual students or send class-wide updates.
Students log into Schoology to check class pages for new materials and upcoming due dates. They submit assignments by uploading documents or completing work directly on the platform. The site stores all completed work so students can reflect on past submissions. Taking tests and quizzes is also done through Schoology.
Schoology keeps students and parents updated on grades. Current grades for all classes are visible on the student home page. Parents can access the same information through their own Schoology accounts. Grades are updated as teachers score assignments and enter grades into the system.
Overall, Schoology allows online interactions and communication between teachers and students. Its features aim to replicate typical classroom processes in a streamlined digital format. Transitioning learning to this online platform has been a great change for both educators and families in BCPS. Many users benefit from having a centralized hub for all class activities and information.
BCPS Schoology is just like a classroom. The difference is that this classroom is online. It offers similar features to the traditional classroom. Here are some of the key features of BCPS Schoology:
- Course Pages: Teachers can create unique pages for each course. Each page can have its syllabi, assignments, materials, links, discussion boards, and more.
- Assignment Submission: Students can submit assignments by uploading files or completing work directly within Schoology. The platform saves turned-in work for teachers to view and grade.
- Online Assessments: Students can take quizzes, tests, and exams directly in Schoology. They can also get instant feedback with auto-grading.
- Gradebook: Teachers can also record and update all grades in real-time in Schoology. Students and parents can view current grades for each class.
- Communication Tools: Teachers can communicate easily with students on Schoology. They can message students, share announcements with the class, and hold discussions.
- Mobile Accessibility: Schoology has iOS and Android apps so that students can participate via mobile devices.
- Multimedia Integration: Users can embed videos, images, PDFs, docs, and more in course materials. Schoology seamlessly integrates with Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, and other platforms.
- Parent Access: Schoology carries parents along in their children’s educational progress. Parents can view students’ activities and grades. Email summaries can also be configured.
- Analytics: Teachers can view student progress, activity, and performance to identify needs. This helps students and teachers improve where needed.
- Customization: Schoology pages can be customized to suit preferences. Teachers can tailor courses, build personalized learning paths, and adapt as needed throughout the term.
- Accessibility: Schoology meets the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliance standards. It is optimized for use with assistive technologies.
Students, teachers, and parents must register before they can access BCPS Schoology. Registering for Schoology is easy. Here are step-by-step instructions for students, parents, and teachers:
- You will receive a unique Access Code from your school once your account is created.
- Go to bcps.schoology.com and click Sign Up in the top right.
- Select Student and enter your Access Code.
- Fill in your demographic details like name, email, password, etc.
- You’re registered! You can now access your courses, groups, assignments, grades, etc.
- You will receive a Parent Access Code from your school for each child.
- Go to bcps.schoology.com and click Sign Up in the top right.
- Select Parent and enter the Parent Access Code.
- Fill in your name, email, password and relationship to the child.
- You’re registered! You can now access your child’s information and communicate with teachers.
- Repeat steps for each child using the respective Parent Access Codes.
- You will receive an email from your BCPS Schoology Administrator with login instructions.
- Click the link in the email to set up your account and complete registration.
- Use your BCPS email as the username and create a password.
- Complete your profile details like name, email, locations etc.
- You’re registered! You can now build courses, create assignments, and communicate with students and parents.
If you face any issues registering, contact your school BCPS Schoology Administrator. They will assist with troubleshooting registration problems or resetting passwords.
After registration, you can now log into Schoology. Logging in to the platform is easy once you have registered. Just follow these steps:
- Go to bcps.schoology.com.
- Enter your username and password. For students and parents, this is the info you provided at registration. For teachers, use your BCPS email as the username.
- Click Log In.
- If you have trouble signing in, try the “Forgot Password” link to reset your password via email.
- You can enable automatic sign-in on your device by toggling “Remember Me” before logging in.
- To log out, click your profile picture and select Logout.
- The Schoology mobile apps for iOS and Android allow the same login process for on-the-go access.
Contact your BCPS Schoology Admin for assistance if you have persistent login issues.
Here are tips for using BCPS Schoology most effectively for students, parents and teachers:
- Check Schoology daily for new assignments, resources, announcements etc.
- Stay organized by updating your courses, completing assignments on time, and tracking grades.
- Leverage features like Discussions and Messaging to collaborate with classmates.
- Use Schoology on your mobile device to learn on the go.
- Notify your teacher if you need help with a course, assignment, or your account.
- Check your child’s grade book and recent submissions regularly.
- Review assignments and resources to support your child’s learning.
- Message teachers if you have any concerns or to schedule meetings.
- Download the Schoology mobile app to stay updated.
- Ensure your contact information is current to receive notifications.
- Log in daily and maintain an active presence in online courses.
- Provide clear instructions, resources and prompt feedback on assignments.
- Use discussions to engage students and build community.
- Customize your course materials and align them to standards.
- Use analytics to identify and support struggling students.
Schoology offers many benefits to BCPS students, teachers, and families. It empowers students with an enriched digital learning experience. Some of the benefits of BCPS Schoology are as follows:
- It improves student engagement rates. Interactive tools like discussions and multimedia engage today’s digital learners.
- It ensures better communication between educational stakeholders. Schoology facilitates seamless communication between teachers, students, and parents.
- Schoology increases collaboration between students. Online groups and discussions allow collaborative learning and community spirit among students.
- It offers students, teachers and parents convenient access to educational tools. Mobile apps enable learning from anywhere with an internet connection.
- It is very organized. Everything is centralized for each course, eliminating unnecessary paperwork.
- Schoology offers enhanced analytics. Data analytics help teachers identify student needs and customize instruction.
- It offers personalized learning. Teachers can tailor courses to student strengths, needs, and interests.
- Students and parents can get consistent updates. With Schoology, easy access to announcements, messages, and notifications keeps everyone informed.
- Schoology brings about anytime, anywhere learning. It facilitates learning beyond the classroom walls.
- It offers parents simplified monitoring. They can easily monitor grades, assignments, and student progress.
- It offers streamlined workflows—automated grading, assessments, and administration.
Frequently Asked Questions
BCPS has 178 schools, including elementary, middle, high, vocational and special schools. BCPS has 111,084 students spread across these schools.
Yes, BCPS offers a high-quality education and is considered one of the best large school districts in Maryland and the US.
The largest school in Baltimore is Montgomery Blair High School.
Many students live with their parents, except for boarding school students who live within their school facility.
BCPS Schoology is not just a platform but a digital ecosystem fostering a love for learning, collaboration, and progress. It provides a robust learning management system to enable impactful digital learning.
BCPS continues its legacy of educational innovation and leadership by effectively adopting Schoology. It paves the way for a brighter educational future. With streamlined access on any device, Schoology extends learning beyond the classroom. It supports BCPS’ mission to produce sound intellectuals for individual and community success.Read more: BCPS Schoology: A Revolutionary Tool for Education